Monday, October 3, 2011

Tips for going to a Fish Market

Manama Fish Market
Woke up feeling all beachy, and thought since I can't be at the beach then I would get some sea flavor in da house, decided to go to the local fish market. I just wanted some grilled fish and butter lemon shrimps easy right ? Would just take me half an hour, a quick trip to the fish market (which I have never seen before) would do it. Got on my car and asked for directions to the place. Hey finally found it YES!!!!!!!! I can have my fish now, ok here is what I have discovered
  • The stench of fish led me to the place, I didn't realise how fishy real fish smelt like.
  • Was wearing my favorite pair of shoes ( big mistake since they grew fish now from all the fish water that they drank)
  • I wanted fish and I found fish, oh my God, red fish, orange fish, silver fish , grey fish, white fish, big fish, small fish, tiny fish, fish fish, even shrimps they look different and all sizes. Looked around in total awe of the place until I had a reality check my mobile fell right in the puddle of fish water and the fish man wanted to be nice so picked it up and rubbed it on his shirt to give me some fish blood to go with it !!! How the hell will I touch my mobile again ( politely I smiled and said thank you) and you don't wanna know what I really meant to SAY!!!
  • Just found the first guy who sold shrimps got 2 kgs and ran for my life !!
How do you choose fish ? How do I know which color?

If you are in the middleeast and wanna go to the fish market here are some tips.
  • Go with someone who knows their fish.
  • Find a fisherman and become their regular customer
  • Wear clothes that you don't want
  • There is a possibilty to get you fish and shrimps cleaned it a seperate service and you have to ask for it
  • Did I say wear flip flops you don't want or better yet rain boots